Dear JCA Families,
It’s hard to believe summer is almost here! After more than a year of not being together in person, we all need camp more than ever. While camp may look a little different this year, we know that we can make that JCA magic even under these unusual circumstances.
With camp scheduled to begin in about 6 weeks, we want to share an update about the COVID guidelines provided to us and its impact on the status of camp as of today:
- CDC released guidelines for overnight camps which are in line with the protocols we have developed.
- California has given the green light for overnight camps to operate with modifications in counties in the red, orange and yellow tiers. The state will need to release their own guidelines (based on the CDC’s guidelines) for those modifications.
- However, we still need to receive permission to operate from the LA County Department of Public Health, which we have not yet received. We expect they will give permission for overnight camps to operate once they receive operating guidelines from the state. We have been told these guidelines are forthcoming, however they have not been issued yet.
We are optimistic that we will receive the state and county guidelines and will receive a permit to operate this summer. Preparing for summer takes tremendous time and resources, especially this year. While we had hoped we would have received guidelines and permission to operate by now, we are enthusiastically preparing for summer and will continue to update you as we learn more.
We will release our full Camp JCA Shalom Covid protocols for this summer once we receive the guidelines from the State of California and LA County. However, based on ACA guidelines, recently released CDC guidelines, along with our camp health and wellness committee, we expect our protocols will include:
- Creating camper and staff cohorts to limit mixing with others. These cohorts function like a household for COVID purposes – campers/staff will not need to wear masks when in their cabin or with only their cohort. The cohort will most likely be their cabin group.
- Wearing masks and practicing physical distancing when outside the cabin or doing activities around camp with other cohorts.
- Pre-camp COVID testing (within 72 hours of arrival at camp), testing upon arrival and during the camp session.
- Requesting that campers and their families engage in a 14 day pre-arrival quarantine (per CDC guidelines for overnight camp) that includes physical distancing from those outside their household, mask-wearing when not at home, avoiding unnecessary travel, monitoring for COVID symptoms or exposures, and refraining from indoor social gatherings with people outside of their households. Click here for our pre-camp quarantine guidelines
- Strongly encouraging all eligible staff and campers to receive a COVID-19 vaccination prior to camp.
We will share details about our arrival/departure procedures, including transportation policies and pre-camp daily symptom monitoring/health check very soon.
Summer 2021 Cancellation Policy
As a reminder, we have waived our cancellation policy this summer, so all fees are refundable. If camp cannot operate, or if camp does operate but you choose to cancel your registration, you will be offered a full refund.
You also have the option of rolling over your payment as a credit towards a future summer or donating all or a portion of your camp fees to sustain and support Camp JCA Shalom. Registration fees donated to camp will be matched dollar for dollar (1:1) and are tax-deductible thanks to a generous matching grant from the Harold Grinspoon Foundation. We are grateful to the Harold Grinspoon Foundation (HGF) for the support for camp during these difficult times.
We know this will be a summer like no other, and we are certain that when we receive permission to operate, Summer 2021 will be our best summer yet. Thank you for your patience and dedication as we prepare to create a transformative, fun and safe summer for your campers.
Director, Camp JCA Shalom
While there are still many unknowns about this summer, we are planning for an JCA experience that incorporates best practices to limit the impact of COVID-19 on our campers and staff. We expect to share updates throughout the year as the pandemic and our plans for the summer evolve.
Like last summer, we have waived our cancellation policy for Summer 2021 so you can register at no financial risk. All payments are refundable if camp is unable to operate OR if camp does operate and you cancel for any reason
We are delighted that this summer we will be back at Gold Creek Center, our Summer 2019 location. Click here for 2021 dates and fees